4/10/08

Pop-tarts taste like shit

I’m sorry to have to write another negative post, this time on pop-tarts and pop-culture. Do not read any further if you would like to maintain a happy disposition.

I just decided to try one of the pop-tarts I bought the other day, since it had been a long time since I had tasted one. I thought maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as I remembered – I was wrong.

With this salty-doughy-acid taste in my mouth, the question that keeps running through my mind is: how can anyone eat this? Have kids been conditioned to think that this represents good nutritious food?

I’m sorry Kellogg's, but pop-tarts are dry, tasteless, too sweet - not even a nice kind of sweet. Pop tarts feel like eating wet cardboard covered in a thin spread of strawberry glue.

For me pop tarts represent how extreme capitalism can destroy a good way of life. Back when everything was hand-made, warm bread fresh from the oven covered in melting butter and homemade jam would make the perfect breakfast. But who has time for that anymore? And who has the money to pay the brave baker who goes out of his way to make the best tasting bread?

It’s far easier to open the packet and consume the crap which is being churned out for us and passed for food, if we would only convince ourselves that it’s so good... mm.. I just love pop-tarts!

I can’t help asking myself if what I’m feeling is due to a lack of solid traditions in a country which only goes back a few hundred years. Bits and pieces from other cultures are borrowed and copied sometimes more successfully than others, but maybe what’s lacking is the pride of traditional artisanship, something made right, in the best way using the best ingredients, with pride (and not just a slogan claiming it). Maybe America has not yet found her cultural soul. Maybe we still need to learn how to live.

I’m disappointed with the food in almost every restaurant (granted I can’t afford the most luxurious ones). But everyday food is just plain horrendous – worse than in the UK, and that’s saying something.

Once again I apologize for the negative tone. If you feel offended by this post, I would encourage you to travel outside the US and sample the local food along the way.

I’m just venting after a shockingly bad experience. I suppose it’s ultimately up to each person to decide whether he or she is going to continue stuffing this crap down themselves and their kids. For me, I will keep seeking out good food; maybe even bake my own bread!

And I swear on everything sacred that I will never buy pop-tarts again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I used to love those growing up. Along with a lot of other 'junk'. I believe my health was saved by my overseas move years ago. To a country that still operates on homemade, and long culinary tradition. Norway. I don't even remember being able to buy a box cake mix over there. My kids grew up with good nutrition, and homebaked goodies. I sure do agree with your points. Thanks for the read.

Colleen said...

I used to be able to eat the brown sugar frosted ones, but not anymore. They are bland, tasteless and boring.

If you want some real excitement and you enjoy the crunchy texture of styrofoam, I suggest you run right out to the store now and pick up some of those tasteless disks known as RICE CAKES! :)

Anonymous said...

What an excellent first post of yours for me to read.. loved it.

And I agree. Pop Tarts taste like shit. :)

Furtheron said...

Don't think you can get Pop Tarts in the UK anymore.... well I can't remmember the last time I saw them.

Tara said...

You're so right about Pop Tarts and food in the US in general. I visited Ireland a few years ago and fell in love with the food. It's so much easier to get farm fresh food there. I had never had a fresh egg before and I couldn't believe how much better they tasted than what I'm used to. As for Pop Tarts, I will not let my kids anywhere close to them. They are bizarre in all respects, nothing like real food. I am the most picky about breads and pastries. Another thing I despise is mass-produced "sandwich bread."
Great post:)

Alice said...

Don't know where you are, but "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" on Foodtv has led (lead?) us to several good inexpensive places to eat.

Cyberpenguin said...

Hahahaha, this post made me roll with laughter. I have to agree with you on this one. I never grew up eating this crap, & I'm an American. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am with you, I absolute hate pop tarts. I liked the plain strawberry ones growing up, but wow, are they gross to me now!

 

blogger templates |